Monday, March 31, 2014

Aldeota, Brazil Week 20

Hey! I had another great week this week. Man time is really flying by! I just got back from eating at Burger King and while we were all eating there Elder Allen and I were remembering when we ate there as companions and how it didn´t seem that long ago but that was back in November and tomorrow starts the month of April! Wow, it really is crazy how fast time goes. But it´s good!

This week was pretty normal as far as work in the Mission Office goes. It was funny - Elder Larkin and I were talking on the phone last week and he was asking me how everything was going in the Mission Office. I hadn´t really realized it but everything has been super relaxed. I think I´m at the point where everything I have to do, for the most part, I have already done many times so it´s easy for me. Everything is pretty routine for me now but there is always something new or interesting that comes up that keeps life exciting around here. And if there´s not anything new or exciting or fun, we make it fun! The Mission Office is a place where A LOT of work gets done but also where we have a lot of fun. One great thing about this transfer is that since Elder Vallo and I are companions and we both have quite a bit of time in the Mission Office, we are able to finish our work and leave to go visit and teach people - which is, of course, the best part of the day! We have had a goal to leave everyday at 6:30 and we have been able to accomplish that goal except for a few exceptions.

We had an awesome week as far as meeting new people to teach and visiting them. Actually, it was the most successful week of visiting and meeting new people I have had since I have been here in Aldeota. I received a phone call from Bruno telling me that he gave a Book of Mormon to one of his friends and that he wants us to teach them in his house. This week we taught two of his friends in his house and it was such an awesome experience. Bruno is super excited about sharing the gospel and it sooo cool to see him share it with his friends. He explained really well about how we believe that families can be together forever, and it was so awesome to see him teach and testify! We also visited a few other people throughout the week, including Fabinho. Unfortunately, all the people we are teaching did not come to church so we are going to work harder and help them feel the importance of coming to church. I am excited to continue to work with all of them and help them come closer to our Savior, Jesus Christ. And maybe, in a few short months they will be sharing the gospel with their friends, just as Bruno is doing.

I feel so blessed to be a missionary in this ward. Each week when I go to church I realized how blessed I am to be a missionary here in Aldeota. The members have become some of my best friends and I love working with them to share the gospel to the wonderful people here in this area. I have been studying the Book of Mormon a lot and I love the part in Alma 17 where it explains Alma´s joy when he saw the sons of Mosiah after some time and it says that “Alma did rejoice exceedingly to see his brethren; and what added more to his joy, they were still his brethren in the Lord; yea, and they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth; for they were men of a sound understanding and they had searched the scriptures diligently, that they might know the word of God. But this is not all; they had given themselves to much prayer, and fasting; therefore they had the spirit of prophecy, and the spirit of revelation, and when they taught, they taught with power and authority of God.” I love that! That is what I want to see and the joy I want to have one day when I return to Aldeota and see the people that I have taught and baptized here. For now, we continue to work hard and have faith in the Lord that he will help us with the work, because it is truly His work.

Thanks you all for the love and support! I hope all continues to go well for everyone back at home. I love you all and miss you, but am doing great here!!

Until next week.

Love,
Elder Helvey



Zona Aldeota (yes, there are a ton of Sisters in our zone. We have the most Sisters out of any zone.)



We helped the Bishop paint his new apartment. 
We are excited because he is moving into our same apartment building!



Walking past an old Catholic church on our way back to the office after lunch yesterday.

Elder Vallo and I in our new Zona Aldeota shirts! They are pretty sweet.




The back of the shirt. Number 11 in Pinewood colors, brought back some good memories! 
(P.S. A late congratulations to Pinewood Boys Basketball for winning 4th CCS championship in a row!)

No comments:

Post a Comment